Thursday, April 29, 2010

Homemade French Onion Soup

Disclaimer: This is not an actual picture of my recipe for French Onion soup. I ate all of the soup today, and therefor have nothing to take a picture of, but this looks very similar to the actual soup.)


This soup is MARVELOUS! You should make it. Seriously. Not only is it really easy to make, but it's also very healthy!

INGREDIENTS:
1 tbs olive oil
2 onions sliced
2 shallots sliced
1 leek (white and light green part only) sliced
2 quarts (8 cups) chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese

INSTRUCTIONS: Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in shallots and leek. Continue cooking until golden brown, about 5 min. Add chicken broth, and simmer for 15 min. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into shallow bowls, garnish with Swiss cheese. Enjoy!

A NOTE ON LEEKS: If I can find leeks in Evanston WY, then you can find leeks in your town. They chop up just like an onion, and are easy to handle. Don't be scared of strange ingredients. This is a pretty easy one. Leeks have a lot of layers-like an onion, but have an open leafy top that allows dirt to collect in the layers. So you must wash the leek. The best way I have found is to chop off the top and bottom of the leek (So you just have the white and light green part) and then cut it in half length wise. Then run it under the sink, separating the layers slightly. Then you can chop it up. Enjoy your French Onion Soup!

1 comment:

Tom and Juli said...

That looks so good, if I liked onions I would try it. :)