Sunday, April 7, 2013

Spring Break Part 4-Brigham Young Home

Brigham Young's Living Room
 We went to visit the Brigham Young Winter Home. I had seen it before but it has been years and it's always interesting to see.
Dinning Room
Kitchen

Brigham Young's Wife's Bedroom
 They told us that back in the day, the sign that a woman was a true lady was if she had her own bedroom, separate from her husband's bedroom. This was his wife's room, adjacent to his room. I can't remember her name, but she was a nurse.
 This is Brigham Young's bedroom. The color is the original color.
 This was a bed that Brigham Young had made. The beds were shorter than our beds today because people were shorter then. I think they said Brigham Young was 5 foot 7, which is only an inch taller than me.
 I loved this. They said that this bench beside the bed was one he had made so that he could continue to pray on his knees with his arthritis. It was important to him to kneel before God, and show his servitude. I thought that was really neat because sometimes I pray sitting in my bed because I also have arthritic knees. I might need to get me a prayer stool! :)
The outside of the home
These are the original colors of the home. They said there is a legend, that they can't confirm, but they say that they ordered paint for the temple, and instead of white, they were sent green. So Brigham Young had some of the paint sent to paint his home. 

Josh and I went to the temple later that night and inside we saw small places done in the same green color. So we wonder if the legend isn't true. We asked a matron if the colors were all original and she said yes.
The St. George Temple after we went through to do a session.

No comments: