Friday, April 8, 2011

Deoderant and Bugles

I was talking to my little brother on the phone today.

(It was Joseph. I was asking him if the awesome picture I posted in my last post of him in leather pants was ok or if he wanted me to remove it. He said it pretty much ruled, but he didn't like that I called him "normal." :D haha.)

Anyway, we were talking, and he asked about Josh's birthday. He apologized for forgetting it, and I said it wasn't a big deal...that no one in our family is big on birthdays. Even as kids it was a frequent thing to remember one of the kids' birthdays a week late. I remember one day the Davis Family (Yes, the family I married into) was over and asked "Doesn't Aaron have a birthday coming up?" And Mom and Dad got to thinking and looking at the calendar and said "Oh! We forgot his birthday! It's today! Happy Birthday Aaron!"

So that is how we were raised. Birthday's weren't a big deal, and when we DID remember, we got stuff like, a stick of deodorant and a box of bugles (you know, the cone shaped chips.) I'm not even exaggerating. Ask any the 8 of us sibling.

Then we started talking about the presents our grandparents gave us. I remember getting a pair of pantyhose, not in a package, for Christmas. I think she must have bought them in bulk, or had extras laying around, and she gave them to her grand daughters.

Joseph also reminded me of a gift from my grandparents of a box of used combs. lol

These people lived through the depression. They saved everything. Nothing was useless, and who wouldn't want a box of used combs!

How do I feel about it?

Well as a kid we may have been slightly disappointed in a pair of pantyhose. But we used them anyway, and forgot about it within a few minutes. I'm pretty sure we threw the combs away.
Now, I think it's awesome. If they would have given me a baby doll or a new dress I am sure I wouldn't remember it in the slightest. It makes for some great memories. I'm glad I got used combs for Christmas, and deodorant and bugles for my birthday. We never went without. There were 8 kids, but we all had everything we needed, and we had fun with what we had. Don't get me wrong. We had toys. I probably got a barbie every Christmas. But what we needed always came before what we wanted...and sometimes that was deodorant and bugles.

The only other thing I want to say is...sorry to all of my in laws who I forget to call on their birthdays. And if you ever get a bag of bugles from me for your birthday, consider it sentimental. :)

This is me on my 10th birthday. It looks like I got a bra, a fanny pack (Way cool!), two dollars, a cupcake that if I remember correctly had chapstick in it, the lacy thing on my lap is a potpourri thing, two dollars, a barbie, and some fiddle faddle and cheetoes. Ya gotta love the bra though!! :)

3 comments:

Pat and Emily said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Necha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pat and Emily said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.