Thursday, March 17, 2011

Traditional St. Patty's Day Dinner



I decided to do the whole sha-bang for St. Patrick's Day.

I usually make cabbage and boiled potatoes, but this year I wanted to try Corned Beef as well. I have never made it before, and honestly I wasn't sure exactly what it was.

But I found it at the store, and it just looked like a regular roast...and pretty much it was! But it didn't taste like a roast. I kept saying that it tasted like it was cured...so I looked it up:

Web definition:Corned beef refers to a particular style of brine-cure beef. The "corn" in corned beef refers to the "corns" or gains of course salt used to cure it. The Oxford English Dictionary dates the usage of "corn," meaning "A small particle, a grain, as in sand or salt."

Hmm, ok. So it is cured, although I always thought cured meant it didn't need to be cooked (Like Jerky.) But what I bought was a raw roast.

ANYWAY!

Now I know, and it was delicious! And there is nothing like being festive!


4 comments:

Mandy Vermillion said...

Wow! That looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Love it!! I need to post our pictures too!! Your girls are SOOOO adorable!! :)

Leslie said...

Yummy! Jim wasn't in town so I didn't want to do the whole shabang. Tralee and I did make Irish Soda bread together and it was so easy and delish! Good work on being festive!

Tom and Juli said...

Looks super yummy!