Saturday, February 28, 2009

News on Maggie

This is mostly just for the family, so I hope that any of you non-family aren't too bored by this. I don't want anyone saying "How come you never told me?" because I always forget to tell people. So here it is:

Ever since Maggie has started talking we have noticed that she has a deep voice for such a little girl, and that she talks a little bit through her nose. Also when she drinks she often chokes and coughs. I just thought she didn't know how to drink. Well, she gets OT as most of you know. Her OT and her OT supervisor, who is a speech therapist, were over. We talked about her speech a little and the speech therapist suggested that I take her to an ear nose and throat doctor to have it checked out. So I did. I took her last Thursday, and don't worry-she is fine! She has Laryngomalacia. It is a very mild case. It means that the larynx, (the thing above your voice box) is wound too tightly, or "tethered" as the Dr. called it. He said he doesn't want to do anything for it because she will probably outgrow it on her own. He said speech therapy could help (which she is currently not getting, but can.) So that is it! She is fine. It's nothing serious. But I guess we should stop teasing her that she could be a lounge singer with that deep voice of hers.

The Dr. was very impressed with Maggie and said he had never seen a little girl like her! He asked her if he could look in her mouth, and she opened her mouth and stuck her tongue out for him. And then when he needed to stick a camera down her nose, she didn't move a muscle! The nurse and I were holding her down so she didn't fight it, but she just let him. She knew something was going on, and she knew it needed to be done, and so she sat really still and let him stick the camera down her nose. He said he has never seen a kid not fight it before.

We have always known that our kids are at risk of having little problems here and there because of their prematurity, and we have felt VERY blessed so far not to have any problems with their health. Preemies often have neurological problems, and are weaker, and more susceptible to illnesses. But our girls have done amazingly, and everyone we see says so!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Your little girls are two little miracles, aren't they? Miracles and cute. . . what a lucky mommy! :)

Mel & Annette said...

We're glad that it's nothing serious; but I like her voice, and lounge singers (I prefer the term torch singers....sounds more respectable) probably make a pretty good wage! xoxoxox