![]() | ||
| This is only half of the article, and all of the facts aren't quite 100% correct. |
1. I remember before the transplant a reporter coming to the door asking to do an interview with me and my dad. We found out later that my future father in law (I wasn't even dating Josh yet) "turned us in" to the local paper, telling them of an interesting story. I still haven't forgiven him. But I do love the little memento!
2. I remember the night before the transplant, sleeping at my sister's house and eating clam chowder (we were supposed to eat something light.) and taking nasty preparatory meds. ick.
3. I remember sitting next to a kid in the waiting room who was donating a kidney to a stranger. He was there to do testing. He told me he hoped the recipient wanted to meet him because he really wanted to meet the recipient. I wanted to thank him on behalf of all transplant recipients, but I didn't.
4. I remember being prepped and ready. They wheeled me away on a bed and I don't think I have ever been more scared than I was at that moment. I was sure I was going to die on the table. They "parked" me in the hallway, and the anesthesiologist came and visited with me. He told me he recognized my dad's name on the paper work, and that he grew up with my dad in Central Southern Utah. That put me at ease a little. And then everything went black.
5. I remember when I woke up I was worried about my dad. I kept asking where he was. They told me he was right above me, and that he was doing great. When they wheeled me to my room I was super paranoid because I felt like I was naked, being rolled through the halls. I heard my mom's voice and all I could say to her was, "Am I naked? Did they cover me up?" She assured me that I was covered.
![]() |
| My dad the day of surgery after he walked into my room |
6. I remember that my dad's room was clear down the hall, and I wanted to go see him but I was on morphine and cut in half and I couldn't even dream of getting up. Then a few hours later my dad, who was also on morphine and cut in half (cut worse than I was!) walked into my room to check on me. I was amazed. I'm still amazed. Now as a parent I get it.
7. I remember the day after surgery they made us start getting up every few hours to walk the halls. It was torture! But my dad would come and "pick me up" for our walk and away we went. I remember they would warn me a little in advance, and I would start pushing that morphine button to get a couple of doses before I had to somehow get the stomach muscles to stand up.
8. I remember visitors. Lots and lots of visitors. Family (of course), friends, neighbors. There was even an ex boyfriend, and an ex boyfriend's parents, who told me I needed to give their son another chance. lol. And there was Josh, my friend. I remember that him and the ex boyfriend were there at the same time, and neither of them would leave. It was like a waiting match to see who would leave first. Even in my hospital room I had a wee bit of man drama. haha!
9. I remember when my dad had to leave. They kept me longer to make sure my body accepted the kidney. It was a sad day when Dad left. I felt like we were a team, and in this together. I still had family around me of course, but the other half of my team was gone.
10. I remember the day I got to go home-FINALLY! I had been released once, but developed an infection and had to go back. When we got back home, my dad opened the door to the house, and I leapt out of the car and ran into the house.
And there it is, ten memories. One for each year that I've been healthy and happy because of my dad.





No comments:
Post a Comment