Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Homemade Hair Clips for Little Girls

 My Young Women taught me how to do this one night for a church activity, and it is SUPER easy! I'm sure there are lots of tutorials online for this kind of thing, but here is how I did it...in my very NOT crafty way...
You will need: Material cut into 2x21 inch strips. Fold them in half and iron if needed. (As seen above) 
Needle and thread
Any type of hair clip (I used the snappy kind) 
Buttons or jewels or flowers...any type of embellishment you want
Hot Glue Gun

(Also, don't mind my messy craft table...there is paint on there that will never come off!)
 
 Step One: make a stitch all along the open side of the folded fabric, about 1/4th inch between each stitch. (As seen below) Then just bunch up the fabric towards the end as you go, creating a pleat.
 When you are done bunching the fabric it will form a little "Rosette" shape. It naturally curls on it's own, but you may want to mess with it a little to get the shape you want.
 Keep the needle and thread in the Rosette, and make a few stitches through the center to make the whole thing secure. You can't mess this up...just start making little stitches around the middle. But try not to go further out than can be covered up easily with your button (or other embellishment.)
 Secure your clip or barrette onto the underside of your rosette. You will have to decided which side is the bottom and which is the top...just pick the prettier side as the top. To secure your barrette, you may have to sew it on like I did. Other types of barrettes you can glue on with hot glue. If you sew it on, make sure to only go to the middle layer with your thread so it doesn't show on top. I also added a little bit of glue to the barrette when it was done.
 Then flip it over and hot glue your embellishment on top! I used buttons because that was what I had on hand.
 And here are the finished Barrettes!! (The four on the bottom left.)
 My girls LOVED them!!! 
See my funny girl hiding behind the towels?
I think they would make good gifts as well if you don't have any little girls of your own.
Happy Crafting!