Friday, May 20, 2011

Two Posts in One: "Happy Wedding and HS Graduation to Me!" and "Those Crazy Brits are Geniuses!"




For years I have teased my dad for not getting me a HS graduation present, or a wedding present. Now in his defense, he DID ask me what I wanted and I never could decide, and eventually we both just forgot about it. Later it was brought up somehow, and I have teased him, nicely, ever since.

I didn't really expect anything. That is not the kind of girl I am. Not to mention he gave me a kidney...I think that covers every birthday, Christmas, -anything, for the rest of time and then some.
We're Square.

And then he decided to give me gifts anyway!

A couple weeks ago, just before Mother's Day, my dad got me This:
His exact words were "This is to get you off my back."
Ha Ha!
If you know my dad, you know his sense of humor. :)
He said the top half is my graduation present, and the bottom half is my wedding present.
Love it!

First off-I have always had a doll collection. I have never wanted to put them up and assume the title of "Crazy Doll Lady." So they were in storage. But I thought they went perfectly in my china cabinet.

When I was still in High School I received some hand-me-down China. I have never had a place to put it, so it has always been in boxes, and never really been used. I love the pattern-its not too girlie.

I've always said that I wanted to be one of those people that actually used their china, and didn't just use it once a year or less. A few years ago I came up with a new "mantra."

"Eat on the good china, use the guest towels, and never save anything for a rainy day."

I decided that I was going to live life to the fullest. I was going to wash my hands with those silly little decorative soaps. I was going to wear those super high, super cute heals that I bought and never dared wear. I was going to eat on my fancy expensive china (And I might as well add, let my kids eat on it as well!) and not worry if it gets broken because I'd rather use it and enjoy it, then be an old lady looking at my perfect set of china that I never used and never enjoyed.

And I am proud to say that we have used the china more times than I can count on one hand in the last two weeks.

I love my China Cabinet. I feel a smidge of guilt for teasing my dad all these years. I really was teasing. But I love my dad. He is amazing, and I will accept this gift! :)



Post #2
Those Crazy Brits are Geniuses!

So, I mentioned that I always wanted to actively use my china.
In my china I have a tea set. I'm actually a big herbal tea drinker. Love the stuff. Especially in the winter. However I have just always used a mug and a tea bag. Nothing fancy. I never quite knew the purpose of a tea pot or a cup and saucer...especially the saucer. Unless it was just to look like a foofy English lady!

I've watched enough episodes of The Cosby Show to know that you are supposed to heat the water in a kettle on the stove, and then pour the hot water into the tea pot for serving.

I was talking to my sister in law and she said that sometimes you steep the tea in the tea pot...nice to know! So one night when I was freezing I tried it.

1. The tea stayed warmer longer in the tea pot than in the cup...duh me! Which means seconds without having to start all over!
2. I finally get the saucer. I always used a spoon to keep the tea bag down in the water, and then when I pulled the spoon and the tea bag out, I never knew where to put it.

Where do you put a soggy tea bag and a wet spoon when you are laying in bed reading?

Why on the saucer of course!!! :)

After I made this great discovery I told my husband,
"Those Brits are geniuses!"
So if you ever come over and want a nice cup-o-tea, (Herbal,) I'll serve you in style!

3 comments:

Adelina Priddis said...

What a thoughtful gift!

Tom and Juli said...

Necha, you are so cute. Reading this post it feels like I've known you forever, you just seem so familiar to me! haha. I'm glad you wrote this because I think I needed you mantra today, so thanks!!

Kami said...

That is a beautiful china cupboard. :)