Monday, February 14, 2011

In honor of Valentine's Day...



I have this incredible husband.
And I mean incredible.

This is the guy who I used to have sleepovers with, play truth or dare with; (And yes, I did hide my eyes while he ran around in circles in his underwear while my brother laughed his butt off and shone the flash light on him.) He was the one who wrestled me down in my childhood basement, and accidentally hit my head on the rock fireplace...and I ran away crying, and came back down later with a cold butter knife on the goose egg.

And then when we were a little bit older, he would pass me in the halls in high school, and we would both smile and nod, but not say much more than "Hi" because we knew we were closer friends that even our closest friends knew...not that it was a secret or anything...but just that we didn't know how to give each other wedgies anymore and it not be a little bit socially awkward.
Ya know...you just don't wrestle down girls and tickle them after you have both gone through puberty. lol

And then we got past that awkward stage, and I just knew that Josh would always be one of my best friends in the whole wide world...but I was thinking more like a brother kind of friendship. Little did I know...

....Oh! Of course there was the teasing and the hints from family. That happened from the time I was 4 year old to the time Josh and I were secretly already dating. :) We endured it for years!
"Necha and Josh, sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!"
We would usually say things like, "Shut up doofus!"

After we were married for about a year, I was reading through my childhood journals. I found an entry that I don't even remember writing, but obviously I felt it..."I have a feeling that I am going to marry Josh, but I don't know why because he is like my brother."

When Josh was on a mission I borrowed his coat for an evening out with his sister, his Football jacket. Josh's mom said, "Oh you are wearing Josh's coat are you?" and I smiled and said "Yep! I have high hopes for the future." -I was kidding.

And then somehow, years later, I wasn't kidding. I really was in love with this crazy brotherish-friend of mine. Somehow through a whole slew of very wrong men, he came along (Or should I say...he was still around.)

It's not like the thought hadn't crossed my mind. I mean we had been teased for years. I had thought about it. Josh and Necha....I wonder what that would be like?

And one day...I knew. I wasn't romantically in love with him yet. But he was there, and I remember looking over at him, sitting in the window of my hospital room, and so
mething deep from somewhere, something outside of myself, something that has spoken to me at different points in my life, told me "You are going to marry him."

"Huh?"

But he was like my brother. Well maybe not my brother, but at least my cousin
. I grew up with him. I knew everything about him, and he knew everything about me. I had seen him in his tighty whities. I had sent him on his mission and been there to greet him when he came back. I sent him wacky letters and VHS tapes on his mission...just like I did with all of my brothers. And yet somehow I knew that that "voice" was right...that he was "IT."

I don't believe in soul mates...poo on that idea I say. But Josh was mine, and something wanted to make sure I knew that he was.

A month later we had our first "set up" date. I already knew that I was going to marry him. In fact the first time he ever kissed me I thought "Welp...I guess we are getting married now, because I am NOT ruining this friendship."

We kept it on the down low for a while. Everyone wanted us to get together...even Josh's mom who was dying from cancer at the time. She would get me alone and say "You know, Josh has really soft lips."

I wanted to say, "I know."

Finally all of our flirting and laying on each other's laps and such...kind of gave it away.

Josh really is my perfect man. Really. If God was preparing a perfect man for me, matching my every quality in perfect harmony, differing where I needed someone to differ from me, matching me where I needed a match, Josh is it.

When family and friends found out we were dating, I got e-mails, and phone calls, and people telling me in person, (This was in the olden days before people only communicated through Face Book.) that they would have never thought of "this match" themselves, but when they heard they thought "How did we not think of them together before! They are perfect!" -More than a handful of people told me that. :) I also had people say "Oh, really? I thought he was your cousin?" HAHAHA!

I love that he is my best friend. I love that he calls me in the middle of the day to tell me things that only a best friend would tell you. I love that we laugh every day because we just happen to find each other that amusing. I love that he wants to hear every detail of my day when he gets home. I love that he supports everything I do, from parenting to EVERYTHING! I love that he defends me, and would beat someone up if they were mean to me. I love that he is 100% devoted to me, and his children. I love that he still thinks I'm sexy, even with "Big Bertha" by lovely rear end. HEHEHE! And I love that he will cuddle with me for hours and just talk...I think being best friends first made us that much closer.

I don't know why Josh picked me, because I am kind of on the crazy sid
e. lol. No really. :/ But I know why I picked him. Here come the cheese...He is my everything. He is what makes my life beautiful and happy, and he completes me.

Yes, I did say "He completes me"...What's wrong with borrowing sappy lines from movies?

No comments: