Okay, so in this post I will be showing you a side of me you have never seen before...the messy housed, pj wearing, hot and clammy kitchen canning mama! My plums HAD to be canned or they were going to go bad...not to mention there was a storm a brewin', and I knew they would all freeze soon. So here you go: my big adventure in canning alone-which I have never done before. I have always done my canning with my sister in laws.
I had plums all over my kitchen...mostly in bowls and Tupperware after I washed them all.
I froze some of them for pies and things. That was the REAL work...pitting them all. I pitted plums until my fingers were raw and close to bloody. Then I made Josh do the rest. What a man!! Keep in mind these are tiny little plums. Big plums would be MUCH easier to pit, but the little ones are a major chore!
The rest of them I made into Plum Syrup. Josh requested syrup because he loves to make us pancakes in the morning. Plus we already have a lot of jams and jellies in our food storage.
I had plums all over my kitchen...mostly in bowls and Tupperware after I washed them all.
I froze some of them for pies and things. That was the REAL work...pitting them all. I pitted plums until my fingers were raw and close to bloody. Then I made Josh do the rest. What a man!! Keep in mind these are tiny little plums. Big plums would be MUCH easier to pit, but the little ones are a major chore!
The rest of them I made into Plum Syrup. Josh requested syrup because he loves to make us pancakes in the morning. Plus we already have a lot of jams and jellies in our food storage. This is how I canned-in my pj's: a night gown and hospital pants. Not my loveliest hour, I know, but it got the job done!
I told Josh that when he is old and looking back on his life, to PLEASE not remember me in my pj's, covered from head to toe in sticky plums. But rather (and I pulled out this coloring book page that I colored with Tessa a few weeks ago) to remember me like this lovely lady. Isn't she amazing! Her hair is perfect, her clothes are clean and pressed, and she not only is canning beans, but she also made fresh bread and pie and cookies! What a woman!
My kitchen didn't look so neat. I scrubbed tables, chairs, counters, walls, and floor when I was done. Then I took myself to the tub and gave myself a good scrubbing as well!
I told Josh that when he is old and looking back on his life, to PLEASE not remember me in my pj's, covered from head to toe in sticky plums. But rather (and I pulled out this coloring book page that I colored with Tessa a few weeks ago) to remember me like this lovely lady. Isn't she amazing! Her hair is perfect, her clothes are clean and pressed, and she not only is canning beans, but she also made fresh bread and pie and cookies! What a woman!
My kitchen didn't look so neat. I scrubbed tables, chairs, counters, walls, and floor when I was done. Then I took myself to the tub and gave myself a good scrubbing as well! Okay, now it sounds like I am complaining a lot, but really it was a fun adventure, and now I know I can do it! I am VERY thankful for a fruit tree in my back yard, and I know we are going to be enjoying our plums!!
2 comments:
Wow Necha! I'm amazed and proud! I probably would become so overwhelmed with the chore I would have given up, or not started at all. But, I do love plums and I've never tasted plum pie, jelly, or syrup! Maybe next time we visit we'll have to have a dinner made of all of your plummy goodness!
Good job Necha! You are a beacon of womanhood!
Post a Comment