Monday, June 3, 2013

Summer

Summer (the break, not the season) is finally here! It doesn't feel real yet. But we are in full swing. We have weekly schedules, job charts, and a summer bucket list all ready in place! 

The biggest part of our summer is going to be swimming lessons. Mon-Thurs. We tried swimming lessons a couple of years ago, but then the girls advanced and the time for their new class was right in the middle of my young women's calling. So we had to stop, and now we are doing the full summer schedule. It might get a bit rough but we have a schedule in place so I shouldn't lose my mind too much. Plus, while they are in swimming lessons I can run on the track! Something I might not be able to accomplish otherwise!


The girls today, on their first day of swimming lessons

Another thing we are trying is daily activities. I don't want to be the mom that says "I don't know...we'll see." And then you never do any of the fun stuff. (Which is the type of my that I AM, but I just don't want to be like that anymore.) So instead we sat down and came up with things they want to do once a week. An "activity for the day" -so to speak. 

They decided that on Mondays they wanted to cook with me. So we have "Cook with Mommy Mondays."
The girls, using a knife and a can opener for the first time!
The rest of the week will be:
Library Tuesdays
Picnic Wednesdays
Craft Day Thursdays
Swimming (In the back yard) Fridays

And then Saturdays and Sundays will be Family Days, since Daddy is home then. 

This way when the kids start begging to do something, I already know what we are doing, and so do they! 

Another thing we are doing is a Job Chart. Now I printed about 20 of these bad boys out, and then the same day, the Relief Society Activity Planner came in and showed us the craft they are making on Wednesday...magnetic job charts made from a cookie sheet. They were really cute! So I might just have to make one of those and save these sheets for something else!

























Every day they have to get ready, and clean and do some chores. Our rule is they have to read 2 books before they can watch any tv, and they can only watch one show/movie a day. 

And that is our summer. That is about how its going to go! Add a few (hopefully a lot) of camping trips, a couple family reunions, Young Women's Camp (hopefully Daddy can keep my schedule in tact while I'm gone!) And a few extra fun activities! And that is that! I am very excited about all of it. I love spending extra time with my kids. Its going to be a great summer!

No comments: