Monday, August 17, 2009

Cooking for my Puppy:

That's right...he is spoiled rotten. I would actually just say that he is well taken care of.

If you haven't read my post on my other blog about dog food then all of this might not make since to you. So for info. on that, click HERE.

I down loaded a whole bunch of dog food recipes, and put them into a book. I just want to share this for two reasons.
1. It's actually CHEAPER than buying dog food.
2. The dogs eat healthier, and enjoy the food so much more!

How is it cheaper...well, you save all of your scraps (the healthy ones) and make them into dog food! So instead of scrapping it into the trash you feed your dog with it. But what about that rule "Don't feed your dog table scraps." That is still true. You have to do it wisely, and healthily for your dog. You have to make meals balanced, and take into consideration the amount of calories your dog needs. It sounds hard but it isn't.
I have been feeding Edgar a very nutritious dog food and he has done really well with it. I didn't want to introduce him to my home-made dog food until he could chew a little bit better, and even then I am still making sure it's mashed and easy to eat for him. (since he is still a puppy.) When I gave him the home made dog food he actually jumped for joy! I am serious! He loved it, and he got so excited that he got to eat something yummy and different. If you were a dog would you want to eat the same thing every day for every meal for your entire life?
Now my goal is to not spoil him. I want him to still eat dry dog food when we need him to...like at a doggy sitter's. But when I gave him more home made food today, he jumped for joy and got so excited! I have never seen such a thing! It made me feel really good to be making my dog so happy! Instead of leaving a bowl of dry food for him to nibble at all day, I will be able to bond with him through making him wonderful home made dishes. Sounds cheesy, but it's so true.
I just feel guilty that Winston never got to try my doggy delicacies. :)

3 comments:

Sally said...

Swesome I wonder if i could do that for our chompers

Sally said...

I meant to say awesome

Necha said...

It's easy Sally. Take the recipe that I posted. Save your left over scrambled eggs from breakfast...even the bits that your kids leave on their plate. I save all of my bread heals...you know the pieces no one will eat...and add some tuna...wa la! it's basically a free meal! You would have just scraped it into the garbage, and now it's a meal for a dog that is nutritious!!! I save asparagus ends...the ends that you brake off and don't use. I save left over pasta. I save anything that a dog can eat...even left over pieces of meat. I just stick it in a baggy and throw it in the freezer! The only problem is that my dog is tiny, and your dogs are big. So it would take more scraps to feed yours. But I bet you could do it if you really wanted to. I bet you could even turn Charlie's health around! -Who knows!!