Thursday, May 24, 2012

How to keep fresh herbs fresh longer!

 I've recently come across this little trick to make fresh herbs last longer, and it REALLY works. My herbs used to go bad within 3-4 days. I can't tell you how many bunches of cilantro I have thrown away only partially used. But this trick works and they last for WEEKS! Seriously. It's amazing, and easy.

All you do is put your fresh herbs in a jar with a few inches of fresh water in the bottom. Don't wash your herbs. The water makes them go bad quicker. So just throw them in the jar with water. Then take one of those cheap twist tie baggies (Not the zip lock kind, although I imagine that would work too if that was what you had) and put it over the top like so:

This bunch of Mint has been in my fridge for almost 3 weeks!

 Done! Keep it in your fridge and change the water every 4-5 days, or as needed. But do not store Basil in the fridge. Basil doesn't like the cold, so keep that one on your counter. All other fresh herbs go in the fridge.

If your bag gets lots of condensation in it after a week or so, go ahead and change the baggie.

And then you can enjoy your herbs for so much longer!! I haven't thrown away a single bunch of herbs since I discovered this trick!

Flavored Water-Mint leaves, slightly crushed to release flavors, and sliced lemon. Yum!


1 comment:

Leslie Jacobs said...

Awesome! I need to try this!