I woke up at 4am because my daughters were crying. I went into their room, and their night lamp thingy was off, and they were crying because it was too dark. There WERE however 2 nightlights in the room that were working. I tried to turn the lamp back on but it wouldn't turn on. I figured the bulb was burnt out. So I went and grabbed the night light from the hall and took it into their room and plugged it in....so now they had 3 nightlights. They seemed to be satisfied with this, and went back to bed.
Then, since I was up in the middle of the night, I needed to go potty. That is when I discovered the power was out. I am not sure why the nightlights were still working...they are the little tiny bulb kind that use hardly any energy, and never burn out...I am sure that is why. They probably had enough energy stored up to stay light for a few more hours.
I went back to bed, the house was freezing because the heat wasn't coming on-due to the power being out. I laid in bed....and my mind went crazy. My husband was gone for the night for work, and so I was alone with my girls. I laid in bed listening. There were dogs barking like mad! They sounded angry and like they were barking at people...so of course I thought it must be the end of the world, and the power is out forever, and there are marauding mobs coming down my street to kill me and my children, and steal my food storage.
I sat there and let this thought fester until I was scared out of my wits. I was praying and praying for protection. Eventually I had to get up and look out the windows. It was pitch black. There wasn't a single light on in my neighborhood. No street lights working, nothing. It was eerie and black. That didn't help my fears, although not seeing a mob of men helped a little.
I got back in bed and texted my husband. I told him I was scared, and that the power was out, and that the end of the world had come and there were mobs coming to kill us, and "why aren't you home when this happens?"-He didn't text back. It was 4:50am
At about 5:00am, the power turned on. My alarm clock started blinking, the night light in my bathroom got brighter, the heat kicked on. And suddenly I was safe again. The power coming on made the mobs go away I guess. I feel to sleep.
At 9:30am I was still sleeping, and amazingly so were the kids. My cell phone rang and on the other end was my laughing husband, making sure I lived through the night. I had.
1 comment:
Necha, you're so funny! I would like to say I wouldn't react like that, but let's face it, I probably would have done and thought the sames thing you did! I'm glad you made it through the night!!!
Post a Comment