Monday, June 9, 2014

Kidney Day!

 At least that is what we call it at our house! Sometimes I lovingly refer to it as "National Kidney Day." It is NOT National Kidney Day. No one in the nation celebrates this day but us, but to us it's so big that it's national. :) 

My dad and I celebrated our 11 year Kidney Transplant Anniversary on May 22nd. (Yes, I know I am posting this very late.) 
Can I just tell you how much I love my kidney? I love it! I talk to it. I thank it for living and working for me. I give it words of encouragement. I know that is silly. But it's like a plant. If you love it it will grow. And kidneys will love you back if you show them some love. :)

A few days before Kidney Day I was thinking about my kidney transplant, and how sick I was before hand. How throwing up was just part of my daily routine. How I had just started having petit mal seizures because my blood was poisoning me to death. How my doctor had told me that I had about 3 months to live if I didn't get a transplant or on dialysis soon. I was thinking about how differently things would have turned out if I had died. How much I would have missed out on. 

I know every year I get on here and post about my kidney. About how thankful I am for my dad, and for the life that I have been able to live because he gave me a kidney. For the husband that I got the chance to love with all my heart, and the two beautiful children I was miraculously able to have. It might get old to read about year after year, but this is my reality. I see my husband and my children every day, and I am truly thankful for this time. I'm not just thankful for my kidney on Kidney Day. I am thankful for it every day. I know that none of this would be here without it.

And I love my dad for that.

1 comment:

Lin Ryals said...

I love your story and share it with my children every year. I just think it's so cool. ;)