
So this year I made a new years resolution. I usually don't make one because I hate HAVING to do something, and lets face it...diets are evil. So this year I thought about something I really want and need to work on, and I came up with what I thought was the perfect thing for me to work on! Instead of dieting or exercise -which failing at would just make be feel bad about, I decided to EAT! :)
I have struggled with meal planning. I never remember to thaw meat in time to cook it. I start thinking about dinner right at dinner time, and then have no clue what I am going to make, and by the time I think of something I'm too tired to cook a huge meal and we end up eating frozen pizza or something else grotesque. So I wanted to be more prepared. I already was doing a meal plan for the week, but then still not knowing what I was going to make until it was time RIGHT THEN. And the killer is-I really LOVE to cook. I enjoy cooking quite a bit. But because I am not prepared it's a huge stress when dinner should be on the table now and I am nowhere near ready!
So I decided to make a menu and hang it in my kitchen where I would always see it and know exactly what I was making on any given day! I made a goal to set up my meals once a week, shop for the groceries for it, and then plan ahead and defrost meat or get it in the crock pot on time-or whatever the case may be.
So far it is working like a charm!!! I will admit that there are days where it just doesn't work out. Or someone will call and say "Come over for dinner." and then my weekly menu is kinda messed up. There are days where I have to rearrange a few things, but it still works most of the time, and we have had 40% more home cooked meals than normal! I just made up that 40% number but we are eating a lot less fast food, and a lot less processed packaged dinners. We are also going through all of the fresh produce that I get from Bountiful Baskets. We are eating much healthier! It's really been the best goal I've had all year! lol.
If you want to make one for yourself, just get any size of frame you want. I used an 11x14 frame. Then get cute scrapbook paper for the inside. Write Monday-Sunday on it, and wa-la! A fancy dry erase board for your weekly menu. Remember to use a light print for your scrapbook paper otherwise you won't be able to see the marker over it. Happy Meal Planning!
I have struggled with meal planning. I never remember to thaw meat in time to cook it. I start thinking about dinner right at dinner time, and then have no clue what I am going to make, and by the time I think of something I'm too tired to cook a huge meal and we end up eating frozen pizza or something else grotesque. So I wanted to be more prepared. I already was doing a meal plan for the week, but then still not knowing what I was going to make until it was time RIGHT THEN. And the killer is-I really LOVE to cook. I enjoy cooking quite a bit. But because I am not prepared it's a huge stress when dinner should be on the table now and I am nowhere near ready!
So I decided to make a menu and hang it in my kitchen where I would always see it and know exactly what I was making on any given day! I made a goal to set up my meals once a week, shop for the groceries for it, and then plan ahead and defrost meat or get it in the crock pot on time-or whatever the case may be.
So far it is working like a charm!!! I will admit that there are days where it just doesn't work out. Or someone will call and say "Come over for dinner." and then my weekly menu is kinda messed up. There are days where I have to rearrange a few things, but it still works most of the time, and we have had 40% more home cooked meals than normal! I just made up that 40% number but we are eating a lot less fast food, and a lot less processed packaged dinners. We are also going through all of the fresh produce that I get from Bountiful Baskets. We are eating much healthier! It's really been the best goal I've had all year! lol.
If you want to make one for yourself, just get any size of frame you want. I used an 11x14 frame. Then get cute scrapbook paper for the inside. Write Monday-Sunday on it, and wa-la! A fancy dry erase board for your weekly menu. Remember to use a light print for your scrapbook paper otherwise you won't be able to see the marker over it. Happy Meal Planning!
1 comment:
I love your menu board. I think I am going to make one for myself! I decided to make a goal to learn how to make more homemade meals and so far it's been a lot of fun and my family has been eating a lot healthier too! :)
Post a Comment