I'm on a "Home-Made" kick if you can't tell....
One of my friends told me she makes her own butter...so of course I had to try it. I have made it before...in 2nd grade.
So we just got some cream, put it in a jar, and shook it like a Polaroid picture.
(Until we got tired and then stuck it in a bowl and mixed it with the hand mixer.)
And-don't laugh-I didn't know that was where buttermilk came from! I thought it was THE neatest thing when suddenly it started to look like it was curdling and then milk started to come off of the butter! No Way! Pour the buttermilk off...
So we just got some cream, put it in a jar, and shook it like a Polaroid picture.
(Until we got tired and then stuck it in a bowl and mixed it with the hand mixer.)
Also, the buttermilk that you get goes bad quickly...like in12 hours...so you have to use it right away. Luckily my dad came over that day and just grabbed it and drank it when I told him it was buttermilk-he grew up milking cows. I don't know.
I don't think I would ever make it again unless I found cream for very cheap because it was a little bit more than buying cubes from the store. And I don't know what I would do with the buttermilk besides make my dad drink it.
It was fun and the girls learned something new (and me too) And so I don't regret it, but it just isn't cost effective unless I find cream for very cheap.
4 comments:
That's awesome!!! I want to try it one of these days. I did it once when my dad worked on a dairy farm, but I wasn't even in school yet, lol.
we just made butter too. i had emily drink the buttermilk and she loved it. then we ate the butter on bread, it was gone within an hour.
You don't know what to do with the buttermilk?! Girl, make banana bread or pancakes or or or... ANYTHING that uses buttermilk!
lol@ Sara! I do KNOW what to do with buttermilk. Its just that it goes bad so quickly, and I don't really bake. ;)
Post a Comment