Thursday, March 26, 2009

Home Made Bird Feeders

You will need:
string
pine cones (most types will work)
peanut butter (don't use natural, or chunky)
bird seed.

Directions:
Step 1: Gather pine cones. Shake off any dirt. Tie string around the top. If there is no stem, secure the string within the the quills of the cone.
Step 2: Rub on peanut butter

Step 3: Roll the pine cone in bird seed.

Step 4: Admire your work.


Step 5: Hang them outside. Try to hang them near a branch that a bird can land on.
Step 6: Wait for the birds!
Step 7: Enjoy bird watching!
Disclaimer: I have heard rumors that peanut butter is bad for birds so I looked it up. Pretty much all I found said that birds love peanut butter, and that it is good for them because of the fat content that helps then get through the cold. I found that it probably isn't a good idea to feed a bird exclusively PB, but this craft only uses PB as an adhesive to keep the seeds on. Plus the birds love it. Some people think that PB clogs the bird's nostrils, and they suffocate, but I read that that isn't true because birds have a different saliva content than us, which prevents sticky stuff (like sap from trees) from sticking to their mouths! So unless I find dead birds under my bird feeders, I am going to assume they love PB, and that it's good for them!! :)

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

I love it - We did this once in my preschool with the toilet paper roll, but this is much cuter. What a great mommy!

Nacey family said...

You're such a good mommy. Your kids are very lucky!